Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The long weekend is over!


     I don’t know about anyone else, but I am glad the long weekend is over. I think the hardest part was trying to find things that are not processed that the whole family will eat.  I found sea asparagus and love it.  Nobody else does, found passion fruit spread, nobody likes it.  My bread making skills are getting pretty good, but I am the only one eating it.  The bread comes out pretty and tastes pretty good too! I do think for my honey wheat bread I will add more honey and less bread flour it is really dense and heavy. Practice makes perfect!
     Today is my veggie day and I have a big salad planned for dinner. I have to put meat in the boys salads but mine will be just veggies, nuts and fruit, with a piece of my wheat bread. I sat down last week and gathered recipes and planned meals so when my grocery buying experience would be a little more smooth. Did pretty good but my next bill should be cheaper I had to buy all the stuff for bread making.  I Keep my receipts and this helps me to budget my next trip to the commissary. This has saved me at least 20-30 dollars each time.  For you on the mainland grab several different store circulars and don’t be afraid to ask for a price comparison what’s the worst that can happen they say no. 
     Coupons are hard here because there are not many that work for my new way of eating so I just use them for paper goods, laundry and cleaning supplies, every little bit helps. Here’s another hint when you go to the farmers market remember to take some reusable bags with you. I never felt so silly as when I am trying to leave a smaller foot print and I am carrying plastic bags away with my market fair.  
     Keep up the good work everyone, remember that just a few small changes are always better than none at all. Have a good week!        

No comments:

Post a Comment